Sunday, August 24, 2008

8/24/08: Rochester Red Wings vs Syracuse Chiefs

A sad day today, as this will be my final full Chiefs game of the year. The only game I can make it to is a doubleheader next Sunday, but those aren't "full" games. This will also be the last time that things aren't insane at the stadium, as the Scranton W/B Yankees will most likely have Melky Cabrera, Phil Hughes, and rumors of Joba Chamberlain with them. No point in really trying in these cases, unless I was to get really lucky.

Things today went so-so, as I was only able to get Travis Snider before the game in my prospect book. After the game looked much worse, as I went to the Syracuse side and skipped over Snider to try to get newly sent down Shaun Marcum. Marcum ignored us as he walked to his car on the phone, and I missed Snider. So after getting one guy from Syracuse, I went over to the Rochester side. Phil Humber snubs us, while signing for some white trash kid and his cardboard box..... I blame the fact that they left the stupid barricades up. This reminds me of early in the Syracuse Crunch season, when barricades were put up for opposing teams. Luckily, we found ways around that. I did get Luke Hughes on a ticket stub, since I had nothing for him and never got him to sign before.

Well, after getting a whole four autographs, we leave dejected. This is where the story gets interesting. We left, end up getting turned around, as we decided to get a couple groceries, and who do we notice driving right next to us? SHAUN MARCUM! We end up going along our way and decided that we would detour and take a chance at going back to the stadium for a minute. Sure enough, Marcum shows up. It ends up being just us there, and he ends up signing all that I had with me. He was very nice, which was the total opposite of what we expected after the ignoring as he originally left. I guess sometimes going on a whim can be a good thing.

Books:

Shaun Marcum (2006)
Travis Snider (2008)

Cards:

Syracuse
Travis Snider - 1
Chris George - 1
Shaun Marcum - 4

Rochester
Bobby Kielty - 1 (2006 Oakland Heritage card..will hopefully get more in the future on it)

Misc:

Rochester's Luke Hughes on ticket Stub

2008 Baseball Cards Signed: 586

No comments: