Sunday, August 17, 2008

8/15/08: Pawtucket Red Sox vs Syracuse Chiefs

To say that today was the most surprising autograph day for me would be a huge understatement. Coming into today, with former Cy Young award winner Bartolo Colon rehabbing with Pawtucket, I was hopeful of getting Colon to sign one card for me. I figured that he would probably sneak out or not care to sign. Even up until the 6th or so inning I felt this way. I was not even close. After Colon pitched the 1st inning, he was pulled. Around the 4th or 5th inning I headed outside in hopes of catching Colon if he left early. At least three times the few of us outside saw him walk into the gated area only to turn around. Finally he walked out, but said "later" as he walked to his car. We assumed he was going to leave then, but a few autographers followed him to his car three parking spots in and stared at him. After about 30 minutes or so, we see movement as a couple of the guys went to his window, which had been rolled down. As we all start to make way we realize that Colon was actually signing from his car. I was thinking, "Awesome I'm going to get my one!" I was wrong. He signed everything handed to him! I had my original page of 8 different cards, which he signed. Then I realized I still had 7 other cards (5 different) in my bag, and seeing as how he had signed for others a few times (dealers included) I went back over and got those signed. In all I got 15/15, with 13 being different! (I gave one of the others to my girlfriend, while giving the other repeat to a nice autograph person we talk to who didn't happen to get outside when Colon was out). It amazes me that an ex-Cy Young Award winner can sign everything in front of him, but guys like Lance Broadway, Philip Humber, and John Van Benschoten can piss and moan about signing one per person.

Seeing how Bartolo and Jeff Weaver treated fans this year has been amazing, and it definitely helps wipe out the frustrations of the other jerks and reminds me of why I enjoy this hobby!

Cards:

Bartolo Colon - 13
George Kottaras - 1
Kyle Snyder - 1
Joe Thurston - 1
Hunter Jones - 1
Eric Hull - 1
Devern Hansack - 1
Jon Switzer - 2
Keith Ginter - 3

Different Baseball Cards Signed This Year: 483

No comments: