Tuesday, June 23, 2009

6/11/09: Pawtucket Red Sox vs Syracuse Chiefs

A rather interesting day occurred for this scheduled doubleheader from a previous rainout. Game time was 5pm, but a bunch of us showed up as early as 11am due to the fact that John Smoltz was making a rehab start for Pawtucket in the first game. Well needless to say, Smoltz got snuck in. I was able to get a couple guys arriving at the stadium, but definitely not worth my early arrival! Well things got even more interesting as they put the tarp on the field before Smoltz even started warming up after stretching. He starts to come on due to the tarp and the expectation of rain. I was able to yell at Smoltz as he came in, and he came over to start signing! The problem is, he walked towards me, then turned a few people to the side of me. After watching him sign about 30 balls and such, he looked ready to stop. I was able to plead and out stretch about 3 people and finally he signed for me. Overall, that was an awful experience. I doubt I could do this hobby in a major league city, that's for sure. The doubleheader was cancelled about an hour later, so Smoltz (and the lovely crowd of random people) would be around for the next day.

Cards:

Syracuse Chiefs
Corey Patterson -1
Pete Orr - 2 (Including Topps Heritage team card)

Pawtucket Red Sox
Chris Carter - 1
John Smoltz - 1
Jeff Bailey - 1

Cards Today - 6, Overall - 275

No comments: